Rhein-Neckar Silver Chapter (RNSC)
1. Enhance the level of professionalism within the Corps by conducting seminars, Senior Warrant Officer briefings, and mentor-ship. Create and promote chapter functions that project the technical and tactical expertise of the Warrant Officer Corps.
2. Be a positive influence in our community by helping ANYONE in need. Conduct fund-raisers and other events to support Soldiers and families in the community. Provide scholarships and educational benefits, which will enhance our next generation of leaders.
See below for history and details on chapter installations!
Where we are located
Click image for larger view
Rhein-Neckar Silver Chapter
Area of Operation.
Historical photos of USAREUR installations. Click Here
Area of Operation.
Historical photos of USAREUR installations. Click Here
First USAWOA Newsliner (1972)
Click image for larger view
In 1972 a group of European Warrant Officers came together and formed a small association. Their goal was to boost camaraderie, build programs for the betterment of the Warrant Officer Corps, and promote the technical expertise of Warrant Officers. This was also occurring in the USA. After personal contact of the two groups and review of similar objectives, the European Warrant Officers Association merged with the United States Warrant Officers Association. The USAWOA was formed and Europe became the European Region. The European Region was the stabilizing force for the Association as USAWOA sought to build membership in the United States. The USAWOA was incorporated as a not-for-profit association in Virginia on 7 November 1974.
Coleman Barracks (Mannheim, Germany)
Coleman Barracks (Mannheim) is a location where many of our Warrant Officers have been stationed over the years. The Kaserne is on the post closure schedule and is almost complete with closure. US troops will no longer be stationed at the Kaserne, however the legacy and memories will live on.
After World War II, the United States Army took over the barracks in the fall of 1945, giving it the temporary name of "Y-79". Until mid-1949 the area was used as a collecting point for unserviceable automobile material and for surplus storage. In 1951, a replacement depot was established at Coleman Barracks and served as the staging area for all troops arriving in Germany. Throughout its operation by the U.S. Army, rumors have circulated of an extensive set of tunnels beneath the airfield. Some of the rumors abound have been of tunnels under the base and a number of underground hangars behind the barracks of the Signal Corps units. The tunnels and other underground facilities were supposedly flooded after the war. There have been reports of an alley that ran behind a cluster of barracks located next to a pronounced slope where numerous bunker entrances were located, all of which were rumored to be locked. Despite any hard evidence, these rumors have persisted over the years and stories of hidden Nazi bunkers and underground tunnels are passed on from one generation of soldiers stationed at Coleman, to the next.
Commemorates Lieutenant Colonel Wilson D. Coleman
Wilson Dudley Coleman, Lieutenant Colonel, United States Army, born at Fort Logan H. Roots, Arkansas, 7 March 1911 and who died at St. Denis, 30 July 1944.
Buried with Colonel Coleman is, his father Willis P. Coleman, Colonel, United States Army, and his mother, Martha D. Wilson Coleman, born at Natchez, Mississippi, in 1877 and who died in Arkansas in 1924.
Coleman Barracks, formerly Fliegerhorst (flyer's nest) Kaserne, was built during 1938 as an airfield for both fighters and bombers. At the beginning of the war, the (Luftwaffe) fighter squadron "Pike-As," commanded by Hans Moelder, was stationed here. Moelder was one of Germany's top air aces, having shot down over 300 planes, mostly Russian.
The naming of Coleman Barracks is exceptional in that it is the only Barracks in the Heidelberg area other than Patton to be named after an officer. Its name commemorates Lieutenant Colonel Wilson D. Coleman, who was posthumously awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for single-handedly halting an enemy column.
Dudley Coleman, of New York and Fort Knox, Kentucky, who was killed in action in France on July 30, 1944 posthumously, awarded Distinguished Service Cross and the Bronze Star. "Extraordinary heroism" when, shortly after midnight on July 30, he came upon an enemy column approaching. "Quickly selecting a protective spot he single-handedly fired four anti-tank rockets at the leading tanks, and scored three direct hits, thereby destroying the tanks" the citation added. He was killed later but his action, it was said, not only saved the lives of many of his men but also "contributed substantially to the success of the break-through operation into the heart of France.
Campbell Barracks (Heidelberg, Germany)
Campbell is home to the Headquarters of the United States Army Europe and Seventh Army (HQ USAREUR/7A), as well as the Headquarters of NATO’s Component Command-Land Headquarters. Campbell Barracks, like several other installations is on the kaserne closure schedule. The kaserne is slated to be turned over to the German government sometime in the fall of 2013.
As part of the Nazi military buildup, the German 110th Infantry Regiment was activated in May 1936 and stationed in Heidelberg. The existing Grenadier-Kaserne (now Patton Barracks) was not large enough for the regiment. Accordingly, a new installation was built in 1937 on what was then farmland on the southern outskirts of Heidelberg near the suburb of Rohrbach.
The first Allied troops entered Heidelberg on the morning of Good Friday, March 30th, 1945, and the city surrendered without a fight. The Wehrmacht had left Heidelberg a day earlier but not before blowing up the bridges crossing the River Neckar, which in Heidelberg meant blowing up the old bridge.
The U.S. units that initially occupied Großdeutschland-Kaserne are not known, but by V-E Day, 8 May 1945, the headquarters of the U.S. 6th Army Group occupied the Kaserne. The Army Group headquarters was inactivated in June 1945, whereupon the headquarters of the U.S. Seventh Army moved from Augsburg to Heidelberg, officially opening at Großdeutschland-Kaserne on July 22, 1945.
The Seventh Army headquarters remained in Heidelberg until its inactivation on 31 March 1946. The headquarters of the U.S. Third Army then moved from Bad Tölz to Großdeutschland-Kaserne on 2 April 1946. In the meantime the Third Army had activated a new organization on 15 February 1946 called the U.S. Constabulary. The Constabulary was basically a police force with the mission of maintaining law and order in the U.S. Zone of occupied Germany. On February 15, 1947, the Constabulary headquarters moved from Bamberg to Großdeutschland-Kaserne and the Third Army headquarters was inactivated on March 15, 1947.
During this time the headquarters of the U.S. Army in Europe, then known as the U.S. Forces, European Theater (USFET), was stationed in Frankfurt in the IG Farben Building (the Abrams Building). The same day Third Army headquarters was inactivated, USFET was redesignated as the European Command (EUCOM), not to be confused with the joint United States European Command (USEUCOM) of today.
In the series of phased moves between February and June 1948, the Constabulary headquarters moved from Heidelberg to Stuttgart and the EUCOM headquarters moved into the vacated facilities at Großdeutschland-Kaserne.
In memory of Staff Sergeant Charles L. Campbell,
The Kaserne was formally renamed Campbell Barracks on August 23, 1948 in memory of Staff Sergeant Charles L. Campbell, 14th Infantry Regiment, 71st Infantry Division, who was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross posthumously for extraordinary heroism. On March 28, 1945, two days before the surrender of Heidelberg, Staff Sergeant Campbell led a patrol across the Rhine River near Mannheim and was killed while covering the withdrawal of his patrol as it returned to the west bank with valuable information.
Tompkins Barracks (Schwetzingen, Germany)
Tompkins was an extension Kaserne of units stationed in Heidelberg and Mannheim. After WWII the Nazi Kaserne was taken over by US forces. As a small installation only select units were stationed there mainly engineers and support units.
In 2000 the V Corps Artillery headquarters moved to Tompkins Barracks in Schwetzingen to better align that unit with its higher headquarters, V Corps, in Heidelberg. The improved proximity and associated command and control has been a USAREUR goal since V Corps Headquarters moved from Frankfurt to Heidelberg in 1994.
The USAWOA RNSC Warrant Officers Hut was located on Tompkins Barracks. Do to the closure of the installation the hut was forced to close as well. In October of 2012 the installation was formally turned back over to the German government.
Clay Kaserne (formerly known as WAAF) (Wiesbaden, Germany)
Clay Kaserne is home to many troops that have moved from kaserne to kaserne as facilities close around Europe. The US Army Europe Headquarters made Clay Kaserne in Wiesbaden it's home in Feb 2013. The RNSC also moved it’s Headquarters to Clay Kaserne in early 2013.
In 1936, Luftwaffe Headquarters in Berlin designated Wiesbaden Airfield as a fliegerhorst or air base. Construction of the military kaserne, the runway and hangar complex was completed in 1938 and the first German military unit, the famous "Ace of Spades" fighter wing, occupied Fliegerhorst Wiesbaden. Wiesbaden was used by the Luftwaffe throughout the Second World War as a fighter and bomber base. At the peak of its use as many as 40 bombers took off every 3 hours on assigned bombing missions. Naturally, Wiesbaden was the target of numerous allied bombing missions and at one time as many as 76 bomb craters were counted on the runway. To this day unexploded ordnance from those bombing raids is occasionally found during construction projects close to the airfield.
In late March 1945 Fliegerhorst Wiesbaden was abandoned by the Luftwaffe and occupied by advancing American soldiers. U.S. troops remained on Fliegerhorst Wiesbaden after the war, and in September 1947, the U.S. Army Air Corps became a separate service — the U.S. Air Force. At that time in 1948, Fliegerhorst Wiesbaden was designated Wiesbaden Air Base and was the home of Headquarters U.S. Air Force in Europe.
During the Berlin Airlift of 1949, airmen from Wiesbaden distinguished themselves in support of "Operation Vittles". C54's and C84 "Flying Boxcars" of the 60th Troop Carrier Group flew missions daily from Wiesbaden to Tempelhof Airport in the beleaguered city of Berlin. During one day's operations more than 80 tons of food and supplies were airlifted from Wiesbaden Air Base. The streets on Wiesbaden Army Airfield are named after servicemen that gave their lives during the Berlin Airlift.
In 1976 USAFE and all USAF flying units moved to Ramstein and were replaced at Wiesbaden Air Base by an U.S. Army Mechanized Infantry Brigade. During this period flying activities at Wiesbaden were greatly reduced. In 1984 the unit was deactivated and the decision made to use the Air Base for its primary purpose — that of an aviation facility. Although it retained the name Wiesbaden Air Base, at that time Wiesbaden AAF became the primary airfield of the U.S. Army V Corps.
In 1998 the Air Base was officially renamed Wiesbaden Army Airfield. Prior to the Army's ongoing global rebasing and restructuring coupled with the global war on terrorism, the airfield served as the home for 3rd Corps Support Command, V Corps Combat Support elements, First Armored Division Support Command and First Armored Division Headquarters and Combat Support elements.
Today, USAG Wiesbaden hosts a number of military units and service organizations, including 5th Signal Command, the Headquarters of the V Corps, the 66th Military Intelligence Brigade, 421st Multifunctional Medical Battalion, American Forces Network-Wiesbaden and several U.S. Air Force units.
General Lucius Dubignon Clay (April 23, 1897 – April 16, 1978) was an American officer and military governor of the United States Army known for his administration of occupied Germany after World War II. Clay was deputy to General Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1945; deputy military governor, Germany (U.S.) 1946; commander in chief, U.S. Forces in Europe and military governor of the U.S. Zone, Germany, 1947–49. He retired in 1949.
Clay orchestrated the Berlin Airlift (1948–1949) when the USSR blockaded West Berlin.